Bollington Town Council has a councillor vacancy for Central Ward. If you are interested in applying, please contact us on 01625 572985 or at [email protected].
The Millennium Cross created as part of the Town Council’s Millennium project. Designed by the Mayor, Councillor Tony Thurman it was cut from a single piece of Kerridge stone and donated by the Earl family’s quarry.
A dedication service took place on 21st April 2000.
The idea for the Cross came about because historically there had been a stone cross at Bollington Cross and reputedly why the area had earned its name. It is not certain where this cross had been situated but there is some evidence to suggest it may have been not far from the top end of Moss Brow.
Bollington War Memorial
Bollington‘s War Memorial was installed in a newly constructed garden in 1920 and listed those lost in WWI. Further inscriptions were added following WW2.
It is a listed structure and the entry with more information can be found on the Historic England website.
The inscription on the main facade of the plinth reads: THEY WHOM THIS MEMORIAL / COMMEMORATES WERE NUMBERED / AMONG THOSE WHO AT THE / CALL OF KING AND COUNTRY / LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO / THEM ENDURED HARDNESS FACED / DANGER AND FINALLY PASSED OUT / OF THE SIGHT OF MEN BY THE PATH / OF DUTY AND SELF SACRIFICE GIVING / UP THEIR OWN LIVES THAT OTHERS / MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM LET THOSE / WHO CAME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT / THEIR NAMES BE NOT FORGOTTEN.
A full list of names on the memorial can be found on the dedicated St. Oswald’s Church Webpage
Kerridge War Memorial
Kerridge War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 28th September 1919, in loving remembrance of the Kerridge men who laid down their lives in the First World War (1914- 1919).
Kerridge War Memorial Committee held a public collection to raise funds for the memorial.
The Committee was made up of local Kerridge residents and ex-servicemen. The land was given by Colonel W B Brocklehurst of Butley Hall.
On the body of the Memorial are engraved the names of all the Kerridge men who laid down their lives during the First World War. The names of those who lost their lives during the Second World War (1939-1945) were subsequently added.
More information can be found on the Kerridge War Memorial page.
The Aqueduct is a major feature of our town dividing east from west and carrying the canal high above the road.
The embankment beside Palmerston Street aqueduct, is unique in its construction, built entirely of rock, the most readily available material around here. Most embankments are built mainly of earth, often that which has been excavated from nearby cuttings. Earth embankments tend to have flatter profiles with a maximum slope of 2:1 Building with rock enables a steeper sided profile and this one is 1:1.
Hole in the Wall Steps
These steps, “th’ole i’ th’wall steps” link Palmerston Street with the Canal at the top of the Aqueduct. They must have been quite a feat of construction, being very steep and narrow. The Town Council commissioned a new hand-rail to be installed by local company Ambrose-Wood and two heritage plaques have been added. The steps need to be climbed with care, even with the hand-rail.
The impressive stone 23 arch viaduct was built to carry the railway which was opened in 1869. It was necessary to go to the expense of an arched structure rather than a solid embankment due to concerns over public health and the need to keep the air flowing.
When the railway was closed in 1970 the disused site passed into the hands of Macclesfield Borough Council and the viaduct was under threat of demolition. Local protestors won the day and it is now a feature of the Middlewood Way, the 10 mile/16km linear walk that occupies the former railway.
The Festival Labyrinth
In 2009 a new feature was constructed on the Middlewood Way, near the Grimshaw Lane access. It is a piece of artistic stonework laid out in circles on the ground.It incorporates 78 standing stones from Endon Quarry in Kerridge and was designed and constructed by Jeff Teasdale and Bramhall sculptor Lorna Green.
This project was developed in conjunction with the Bollington Festival Committee, Cheshire east Council, and the National Lottery.
The Sensory Garden
The Sensory Garden was inspired by the Bollington Access Action Group as a project to mark the millennium and was funded by Macclesfield and District Lions, Bollington Town Council and local business BASF plc.
Designed to give all round wheelchair access, the garden was specifically planted with fragrant and textured flowers, herbs and shrubs to provide enjoyment for everyone, including those with a visual impairment or reduced mobility. The garden was officially opened by the then oldest resident of the town, Annie Ingley who was 102.