The Macclesfield to Marple Railway construction was enacted by parliament in The Macclesfield, Bollington, and Marple Railway Act, 1864, receiving the Royal Assent on 14th July 1864. It ran between those three places, opening for goods in 1869, and for passengers in 1870, and was closed under the Beeching reorganisation of the late 1960s.
The definitive history of this branch line, The Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway, was been written by local historian Basil Jeuda. Basil has written a further book to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the opening in 1869, Macclesfield, Bollington & Marple Railway Remembered, 150th Anniversary, Basil Jeuda, 2019. It includes a section on the early history of Omnibus services in the area. Available from the Discovery Centre , Belfields Village Bakery, Bollington, and Macclesfield Information Centre. Price £5.